The Hunger Games


I first heard about 'The Hunger Games' trilogy, written by Suzanne Collins, in January and swung by Amazon to pick up the books for just over £10.
As soon as I got my hands on the first book I couldn't put it down! I read it in a day and haven't been as excited about a book in very long time. It really gets your heart racing from the start to finish. It is set in a dystopian America and is a story of survival and love. If you haven't read the books I really urge you to check them out, all the people that i've spoken to who have read the books are massive fans! Although I feel I have to mention the two books following the first I didn't think were as good. Don't get me wrong they weren't bad, but the first book is definitely the best of all three!
Here is the blurb for 'The Hunger Games' to give you more of a taste of what the book is about:
'In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.'
(P.s - if you don't want any spoilers about the follow up books to 'The Hunger Games' then do not read their blurbs!)

A few days after I read the first book, it came to my attention that they were making it into a film. I nearly exploded with happiness! I can't wait to see what it's going to be like on the big screen and how Gary Ross and Billy Ray adapt the screenplay with the help of Collins. I have to say, I was a little bit disappointed about the casting of some of the main characters in the film. Josh Hutcherson does seem like a good representation of Peeta, but I really wasn't so sure on Liam Hemsworth as the character of Gale. Obviously the film isn't out yet so I cant pass much judgement, yet Gale is described in the book as 'olive skinned'. Hemsworth doesnt seem to resemble 'olive skinned' that I had imagined. However, I shall wait until the film is out to see if my grudge against this characters casting prevails.

Have a sneaky look at the trailer


The film comes out on the 23rd of March in the UK and USA. (With varying dates for other countries ranging from the 21st of March - 1st of May - you can find the full list here.)

Then today when browsing for hunger games related things for this post I came across this:
China Glaze releasing 'The Hunger Games' nail varnish collection!


This just makes me even more excited for the release of the film and makes me want to buy the whole collection! I think my favourites at the moment are Electrify, Luxe and Lush, Smoke and Ashes and Agro!
The collection is being released on the 1st of March! (Tomorrow woo!)

'May the odds be ever in your favor'

Comments

Popular Posts